[time-nuts] Time-nuts question on message size??? 119KB vs 165KB

Tom Van Baak (lab) tvb at leapsecond.com
Fri Jul 11 15:49:20 EDT 2014

Paul,

Your expectation works for text attachments. But binary attachments (e.g., jpg) expand about 33%. That's 8/6, or log2(256)/log2(64), due to base64 encoding of 8-bit bytes.

In general, large attachments on this list are ok. It's just that when they are above 128k they are temporarily held for manual review. I let most of them go through with little delay.

/tvb (i5s)