[time-nuts] Setting Windows XP clock - XP Security

DaveH info at blackmountainforge.com
Sun Jul 13 01:03:28 EDT 2014

Hi John

Both applications are excellent choices. Malwarebytes also offers a great
free system scanner that will detect rooted malware (this is the stuff that
runs without your knowing it is there). It has to be run manually but it is
excellent.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes besides web browsing and Java and
there are already some known exploits out in the field. Three at random:

In the Security Account Manager Remote (SAMR) protocol implementation in
Microsoft Windows XP,
The Remote Administration Protocol (RAP) implementation in the
LanmanWorkstation service in Microsoft Windows XP SP2 and SP3,
Multiple SQL injection vulnerabilities

These are just a few non-browser, non Java related issues for XP that have
cropped up since April of this year. These are things that no anti-virus
software will catch and since they do not target your browser or Java,
Malwarebytes will not catch either.

If you are running XP or earlier, get it off the internet now.  Here is a
good post from Microsoft:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2013/08/15/the-risk-of-running-w
indows-xp-after-support-ends.aspx

The money quote:

  The challenge here is that you’ll never know,
  with any confidence, if the trusted computing
  base of the system can actually be trusted
  because attackers will be armed with public
  knowledge of zero day exploits in Windows XP
  that could enable them to compromise the
  system and possibly run the code of their
  choice. Furthermore, can the system’s APIs
  that anti-virus software uses be trusted
  under these circumstances? For some
  customers, this level of confidence in the
  integrity of their systems might be okay,
  but for most it won’t be acceptable.

Just as a heads up, I had a computer store in Seattle for 12 years and then
went to work for Microsoft doing software test lab management and security
for five years. I was on the ship team for Windows 2000.

Cheers!
Dave