[time-nuts] Optical Distribution of 1PPS and IRIG

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 14:29:00 EDT 2014

What accuracy requirements do you have?    Do you have a requirement
to measure and test your installation?   Testing likely means you will
have to "round trip" the signal.  The round trip doubles the cost but
I don't see how to avoid it unless you already have accurate time at
both ends and if you have that you don't need the cable.

The best way to transfer time is the "common view" method where each
end looks at the same source.   GPS allows this now

I still bet that even with free cable a gps recover in the second
building gives better performance at lower cost.  I could be wrong
you'd just have to add it up both ways. That is the BEST way to solve
many engineering problems:  Do several different designs then compare
them.  Don't get locked in to one thing early.

But no one can suggest anything specific without performance requirements.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California