[time-nuts] temperature sensor

Bernd Neubig BNeubig at t-online.de
Mon Jul 21 13:59:44 EDT 2014

Hi,

regarding the commercial availability of temperature sensor crystals, I
already had pointed to the tuning fork type RKTV206, which is on the AXTAL
website together with an application note.
Other temperature sensing crystals are using thickness shear mode, and are
basically rotated Y- cuts
The most prominent cut is the Y-cut or the same with a few degrees (about 5)
rotation from Y-axis. This cut exhibits a tempco of about -90 ppm/K, but is
not very linear. There are a few on the market in HC-52/U size.
The most temperature-linear cut was the LC-cut invented by olde
Hewlett-Packard, which had a complete temperature test system offered around
this sensor crystal. It is an doubly-rotated cut with some -40 ppm/K
sensitivity. Sorry I am in a hurry, so I have not the time to dig the
literature for you at the moment.

Regards

Bernd  DK1AG