[time-nuts] temperature sensor

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 19:05:18 EDT 2014

Steam is always 100C in open air at sea level BUT there are real
problems if you try to use it

Steem quickly condenses back to water.  If you think you can see steam
you are mistaken.  What you see is water aerosol that is condensed
when stem hits the colder air. Water in vapor form is invisible in
air.  For the same reason clouds are water, not vapor.   If you place
the sensor in steam it is hard to really know what you have.  Is it a
mixture of vapor, re-condenced vapor and air.  And then what about the
thermal conductivity?  You really can't know.   But with water it is
pretty easy to see that it is nearly 100% water.  Experiment with tap
water v. RO water and I doubt you will find much difference as "hard"
water has only maybe 12ppm dissolved minerals.

Same with dissolved gasses O2 and N2 at room temperature are present
at the small fraction of a gram per liter but at 100C there is not
much gas in the water.

Remember the raise in boiling point is (from memory) about .5C per
mole per liter and how many moles "stuff" is in a liter of 100C tap
water?  You can calculate the effect.  But I'm thinking it's way below
the 0.001C level.

Air pressure or altitude above sea level will make a real difference.
I once tried to cook rice at 12,000 feet.  It didn't work.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California