[time-nuts] IMD in Broadband Transformers and be careful with that enamel insulation!

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:37:50 EDT 2014

The data and tests presented in this source:

http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/imd_in_broadband_transformers.htm

is a great resource on measured large-signal performance of
binocular/toroidal transformers. One factor found that can really degrade
IMD performance it turns out, is not the magnetic material itself, but  but
physical damage to enamel insulation in winding around corners of
unfinished cores.

My large signal usage of BN73-202's aka 287300202's, is that not only do
they make great 160M transformers, I've also been putting them to use in
multi-watt DC-to-DC step up converters! Similar to the Clifton labs test,
in HV step-up usage I usually find the enamel insulation limits and/or
winding-around-corner damage to be a much more prominent limitation on
performance than the magnetics.

Tim N3QE