[time-nuts] Fwd: CGSIC: FW: The next GPS Launch

Björn bg at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jul 30 03:01:42 EDT 2014

Its positive that the SVs has exceeded contract design life saving money with less launches.

But the launch on failure policy has also delayed the modernization of the constellation - even if the last batch of 2R were retrofitted with some new signals. I imagine that having SVs sitting in storage for 5+(more?) years also has its implications with keeping support contracts etc.

Cheers,
         Björn

It has delayed the launching of birds, as the old ones does not die of
quick enough for the planned schematic to maintain 24 birds, instead we
see 30-32 birds active for many years, and some being "off air" backups.

On the other hand, it gives more time to adjust the new birds with new
signals.

Cheers,
Magnus