[time-nuts] GPSDO standard interface?

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 15:22:05 EDT 2014

USB may be a common interface to a computer but practically useless to another microcontroller.

Everything can do serial but not everything can do USB master. In the worst case, use a Serial-USB adapter on your PC. There is no such thing as a Serial-USB master interface and never will there be one. USB is PC centric.

Didier KO4BB

On June 26, 2014 2:13:00 AM CDT, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>If you want a common interface for GPS receivers it's "NMEA" and it's
>relatively easy to implement.  I certain would NOT translate to TSIP as
>that is rather obscure.  NMEA is a very common standard and many GPSes
>can
>output NMEA.
>
>Also you talked about "serial".  I hate to say it but "who in 2014
>wants a
>serial device?  USB is the only reasonable interface to a computer.  If
>you
>used serial then you would just need to buy a serial to USB adapter so
>you
>may as well build that into  your controller.   In 2014 those old DB9
>and
>DB25 connectors should be banned from all new designs.
>
>Realistically the user interface in most home made gear is a few
>"#ifdef"
>in the code at the top of the file.  You change those and recompile and
>send the new software to the controller.  It's not bad having to
>re-compile
>in order to support a different GPS receiver.  You would not want to
>swap
>the brand of GPS in a user interface.  You do that with solder and
>wires
>and recompiling
>

>On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net> wrote:
>
>> After reading Chris's response, it dawned on me that I'm treading a
>> different path from what I've seen on the list.  It's not so much a
>GPSDO
>> as a general purpose GPSDO engine.  It uses a number of ideas from
>Bert's
>> board, like the dual-rail op-amp output, but it also has a TIC, so it
>will
>> have sawtooth correction.  I have included 2 TTY ports: one for the
>> receiver and one for the PC interface.  I'm going to use the DAC on
>the
>> dsPIC, but there will be an SPI port that can be used to drive an
>off-board
>> DAC, instead.  There's also the possibility of switching some stuff
>around
>> and having an I2C port, and the ICSP header could also hook up to an
>> additional thermistor or two, or perform other digital functions.
>>

>> So, there will be some minor user fiddling, like with Bert's board,
>due to
>> the flexibility of the OCXO.  But, I'll be using the P and D from the
>PID
>> control system, so it shouldn't be difficult to setup.  There will be
>> power LED, an output enable LED, and a bi-color LED to signify
>status, but
>> only the status would be necessary.  I'll do what I can to make it
>smart
>> enough to plug and play for most circumstances, but I only have the
>one
>> OCXO brand to test with at the moment.  I do have 3 receivers to test
> [...]

Sent from my Motorola Droid Razr HD 4G LTE wireless tracker while I do other things.