[time-nuts] Dephasing WWVB

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 10:34:10 EDT 2014

John welcome to time nuts. This won't be a super long post have other
things to do.
Search for d-psk-r and you can see a few of my exploits. Summation. "It
ain't easy".
It appears to be really easy unless you are far away like the east coast.
Then the propagation gods enter into the picture along with the 60 KHz
station in England that shows up most nights.
The simplest of approaches was indeed the old doubling trick and the many
flavors of it. I built most along with regenerative dividers and other
trickery. Fact is it simply drops a count and that flips the phase quite
annoying.
I finally created two approaches. One specifically for spectracom devices
essentially adding a third mixer and checking for the flip. Works but
requires internal hacking of the spectracom.
The other pretty much a freestanding receiever using a classic costas loop
approach. All details were released to time nuts over a year ago.
My next stab is more of a digital approach using the STM discovery board.
Have to say I seem to get lost in some of the basics of getting all of the
crazy registers set.
However its value is it can run very very fast. So you can do some nice
sampling.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL