[time-nuts] Why using HP5370 ext-ref is (maybe) a bad idea

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Mar 3 09:35:18 EST 2014

In message <107931.7dbf8887.4045ea69 at aol.com>, GandalfG8 at aol.com writes:

>I realise the internal reference is already a 10811, but I thought there
>was some concern that just the use of the external reference facility might
>be in some way responsible, [...]

No, I see no signs of that anywhere in my experiments.

The issue is if the HP5370 internal signals are synchronized to the
signals you're trying to measure, then you're in trouble.

I saw the same kind of phenomena running the HP5370 on its internal
OCXO and feeding the HP3336 ref-in from HP5370-ref-out.