[time-nuts] GPSDO module connections

d0ct0r time at patoka.org
Mon Mar 3 13:01:03 EST 2014

Hello,

I am looking for the advise: what will be the better method to connect
GPSDO module by short extension cable to put its antenna input on front
or back panel ?

Lets say, GPSDO module has female “F” connector. And I would like to
have BNC connector on back panel of my project. Manufacturer of GPSDO
recommend to use RG-59 cable for antenna connection.
Is it OK if I'll take some RG-59 from CCTV, cut 6" or 12" of it, connect
one end to GPSDO (let say this cable has compression type connector) and
solder other end to BNC on the panel ? Or its better to use adapters and
no soldering ? Like "F connector-to-BNC" adapter , then short BNC-to-BNC
cable connected to BNC panel connector ?

And other question: is it worth to use RF cable to connect 1PPS output
from GPSDO to distribution amplifier ? Or regular AWG-22 could do that
job ? Thanks !

--
WBW,

V.P.