[time-nuts] OT - indicator question

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 7 18:03:24 EST 2014

Hi all,

I have a question a bit OT but related to time nuttery. I like making
unusual GPS controlled clocks including CRT displays like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjs7AWL8B1k

A few years ago I picked up a 1970s vintage Japanese made Sperry Mk-8 Radar
indicator unit with the intention of making a large screen radar clock. It's
finally getting some bench time and before starting on a long and painful
reverse engineering effort I was wondering whether anyone might have some
data or schematics about it. It will be an interesting challenge - I've
never done anything with a magnetically deflected CRT before.

There are a few familiar bits such as the power supplies, video amp and IF
strip but there's also some other boards which might be sweep generators or
circle generators etc. Alas no deflection amplifiers - the yoke cable goes
to a connector on the back panel. It's all discrete technology, no ICs.

If this sounds familiar to any of the knowledgeable people here I'd love to
hear from you .

Thanks,

Morris