[time-nuts] PLL Math Question

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 18:42:23 EDT 2014

You don't really shift so much as just change the way you think about it.
The way to think about it is not that you have "16th" but that you have the
"binary point" force places over.   It works just like a decimal point.  If
you multiply two numbers each that has four places to the right of the
point you have now eight places to the right.  You can shift it or not.  If
you use 64 bit "longs" you sand up not having to shift so much because
those can cary up to about 32 binary places.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net> wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> I just realized that I could do the math in sixteenths.  So, for 7/16ths
> multiply by 7 before shifting(i.e. dividing) and rounding.  That would
> probably give enough granularity.  I'll have to think about it.  It does
> open new doors.
>
> thanks,
>
> Bob

> > From: Dennis Ferguson <dennis.c.ferguson at gmail.com>