[time-nuts] 3.0GHz Channel 3 installation in Agilent 53132A Counter

Wed Mar 19 18:37:25 EDT 2014

On 2014-03-19 16:00, James Robbins wrote:
> I think I may need to clarify my prior posting.
>
> Both old and new Channel 3 boards work fine (and read correctly) in my older 53132A counter.
>
> Both old and new Channel 3 boards fail to work properly in (and read 4x actual) the newer 53132A counter.
>
> So I think the problem is in the newer main 53132A box.
>
> As far as my understanding of the division ratios, I understand my error now.  Thank you Dave (and some others).
>
> I have done some further testing and discovered one of HP/Agilent's little tricks.  The main counter board channel 3 ribbon cable socket pin numbering does not conform to the channel 3 board ribbon cable socket numbering (they are crisscrossed).  (I can supply the shifted numbers if anyone is interested.)
>
> However, my search for suspected unwanted zero ohm resistors left in the new box (to set the counter up for a 5 or 12.5GHz channel 3) has resulted in no joy and only a large headache and sore eyes:(
>
> Thanks everyone for trying to help here.  It was supposed to be a "plug and play" addition to my counter.  So much for the plan.

Presumably you looked for obvious changes between the
main boards?

Have you checked the FW ROM markings or could you dump
and compare the ROM contents?

Thought of trying a straight (uncrossed) ribbon cable
between the channel 3 board and the newer counter?
That's the kind of change that might be done to reduce
costs on newer model upgrades requiring a factory mod.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis