[time-nuts] Using GPS to Fine Tune a Rubidium Frequency Standard.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 16:15:23 EDT 2014

What he is asking is if the Rb's frequency adjustments are done with a
DAC or a DDS.  And how fine the steps are.

My answer is "I don't care."   If my goal were to build the best
frequency reference then I'd seriously shop around for the best
oscillator but my goal is not that.  It is to to get the best trim
setting I can get for the existing equipment.     I suspect my $40
FE-5680A is not the best

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM,  <EWKehren at aol.com> wrote:
> Paul
> Do not understand your question, what do you mean with tight?
> Bert Kehren
>

> In a message dated 3/21/2014 3:22:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> paulswedb at gmail.com writes:
>
> Hal
> Actually now that you mention it was the DDS  chip.
> Bert
> I agree with your comments. How tight can it  be.
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Hal Murray  <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
> wrote:
>

>>  albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
>> > There seem to be two different  class of Rb.  One takes an EFC just like
>> the
>> > OCXO so  the controller looks just like a GPSDO and the other class of
> Rb
>> >  accepts serial commends to adjust the frequency.  These have an
> internal
>> > DAC.  But either way the logic is the  same.
>>
>> Is it a DAC or DDS chip?  Has anybody looked at the  spectrum?
>>

>> --
>> These are my opinions.  I  hate spam.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California