[time-nuts] Aircraft ping timing

Joe Leikhim jleikhim at leikhim.com
Sat Mar 22 00:22:33 EDT 2014

In retrospect it is kind of crazy that fleet owners will put tracking devices on $100K semi trucks and cranes yet $100 million aircraft have to rely upon 60 year old technology (Transponders) and ACARS to keep track of them. I don't question the utility of TCAS and Transponders, it is just the issue of not tracking such a valuable asset that is kind of crazy. Can you imagine how much an aircraft like that is worth in spare parts alone? -on the world market. If I were an insurer I would be asking questions of the industry.

"Orbcomm is kind of troublesome.

There is a tracking service used mostly by helicopters, which of course
are notorious for falling off the radar due to low altitude. It is
Iridium based.

> http://us.spidertracks.com/

I've used or have know users various satellite messaging services over
the years. Iridium is good. I was a Globcomm customer, but it was not
reliable. A friend was on Orbcomm and it had issues as well. "

--
Joe Leikhim

Leikhim and Associates

Communications Consultants