[time-nuts] GPSDO simulation tool

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Mar 22 08:17:20 EDT 2014

> What's the best way to make an ADEV plot, other then using time lab?
> Timelab appears to be an MS Windows .exe file.    I could write a
> script based on the definition of adev but I bet someone has already
> done this.

Chris,

John's TimeLab gives you much more than ADEV; the ability to display multiple data files and to pan/zoom/average the phase and frequency plots is really nice, especially for GPS 1PPS data. Surely someone on the list has a way to run his Windows program on a different OS. Still, if you don't want to use Stable32 or Plotter or TimeLab, that's no problem. I prefer scripts over GUI myself.

If it's just ADEV you want, use adev5.c (under www.leapsecond.com/tools/). You can run a GPSDO simulation and pipe the output to adev5 directly:
    gpsim1 gps-m12cns2.txt ocxo.dat | adev5 /a 0 5

For more sigma,tau points, try:
    gpsim1 gps-m12cns2.txt ocxo.dat | adev5 /a 0 5 0.1

Then use gnuplot or your favorite plot tool to make the log-log plot.

As an example, attached are ADEV+MDEV examples for the M12+T and the mtk3339 GPS receivers, tau 10^0 to 10^5:
    gpsim1 gps-m12cns2.txt ocxo.dat | adev5 /am 0 5 .1 | gplot2.sh
    gpsim1 gps-mtk3339.txt ocxo.dat | adev5 /am 0 5 .1 | gplot2.sh

/tvb