[time-nuts] Aircraft ping timing

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 22 09:37:51 EDT 2014

On 22/03/14 09:01, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <532D1009.6040606 at leikhim.com>, Joe Leikhim writes:
>
>> In retrospect it is kind of crazy that fleet owners will put
>> tracking devices on $100K semi trucks and cranes yet $100 million
>> aircraft have to rely upon 60 year old technology (Transponders)
>> and ACARS to keep track of them.
>
> Pilots Unions and "national security" has a lot to do with that.

It's a mess.

>> Can you imagine how much an aircraft like that is worth in spare parts alone?
>
> It is worth more as scrap metal.
>
> There is no market for untraced spare parts for large passenger jets.

I was about to make the same comment. The paperwork on such commercial
airplanes is quite different from cars. Besides, the serial numbers
would be completely traceable, removing them it turns the part into a
worthless crap, so only some of them might be useful for a prop but
that's about it.

Cheers,
Magnus