[time-nuts] Aircraft ping timing

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat Mar 22 17:34:38 EDT 2014

Hi Brian:

MH370 had both ACARS and ADS-B, they have not been of any help.

ACARS can send it's data using (in order) VHF, Inmarsat, HF.
The problem is that ACARS quit sending information.
MH370 did not have a contract wtih Inmarsat.
ADS-B is built using W.W.II IFF technology (1090/1030 MHz, i.e. 30 MHz IF) and is called secondary radar.
It's the rod looking antenna above the rotating radar antenna at airports.
There are a couple of problems with it, first like VHF it's line of sight so no good over oceans and in the case of
MH370 it stopped sending data.

The Emergency Location Beacons (there are maybe a half dozen on most over ocean airplanes) are coupled with life rafts
and only work when there are people there to turn them on (i.e. people to be rescued).  These beacons typically have a
GPS receiver and within minutes have transmitted not only their location but the type of vehicle, number of people on
board, a contact phone number, etc.  These 406 MHz beacons talk to the SARSAT system.

There are two scenarios regarding MH370: 1) there was some event, like a small fire with smoke that killed all on board,
or 2) someone in the cockpit (which has a door that can not be opened from the outside) wanted to commit suicide in such
a way that it could not be proved that's what happened so his family would get the insurance.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com