[time-nuts] NTP and Windows 7

John Nelson honeyway at outlook.com
Thu Mar 27 09:59:42 EDT 2014

Greetings from Wales. I'm not sure whether this august forum is the
appropriate place to ask a question about PC timekeeping, but in the hope
that someone can point me in the right direction I'll ask anyway ;-)

I have just replaced Windows XP with Windows 7. The PC involved (a fairly
elderly 2.4GHz Core2 machine) runs an application called 'PlanePlotter'
which requires accurate timekeeping and mandates Meinberg's NTP software.
Using the UK pool.ntp.org servers as a reference source this has worked very
well under XP for several years and the clock was seldom more than a few
milliseconds out. Under Windows 7, however, the clock can be anything up to
0.2s awry and the offset is very erratic. The daily loopstats graph looks
like a section through a mountain range.

I have carefully checked all settings and combed the internet for
suggestions but can see no reason for the sharply degraded performance. Is
there something about Windows 7 that degrades the performance of NTP? Or is
there anything subtle I can check?

Many thanks in advance.

John