[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sat May 3 10:01:03 EDT 2014

Tony
There seem to be many variables. Cost, power, how many, overall stability
etc. Most likely you will find that the GPS module is not the most expensive
 part but the VCXO. It also makes a large difference if it is one off or a
larger  volume is needed. You can always find a bargain, and maybe a close
out sale but  if you have to look at a continuous supply the picture changes
dramatically and  also the design.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 5/2/2014 11:40:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk writes:

On  03/05/2014 00:59, EWKehren at aol.com wrote:
> Welcome to the nuts  Tony

Thanks, Bert.

> You are not specifying exactly how  accurate time has to be but in my book
> and based on tests the most  reasonable priced GPS with 1 pps is a
> Ublox 6M
> that  you  can get with antenna for less than $ 22 antenna included from
>  _www.DX.com_  (http://www.DX.com) . They have volume discount.
>  Shipping is  very
> slow but included. They seem to be presently  out of the 1 pps version but
> all ublox units have a 1 pps output and I  use with and without and all
> I do is
>   solder a  wire to pin 3.
> Bert Kehren

As I said in my first post I'd like  to achieve an accuracy of better
than 100ns - or 50ns if possible at  reasonable cost.

I had come across the Ublox 6M when I was looking  earlier, but I
misunderstood the data sheet and thought it was only the  expensive
($135) LEA/NEO-6T versions which provided timing. Definitely  worth a
closer look - the NEO-6M is specced at 30ns RMS which is good  enough.
The power consumption is a little higher than I would have  liked  at
37mA/3V, but still rather less than  others.

Thanks,
Tony
time-nuts mailing  list -- time-nuts at febo.com
To unsubscribe, go to