[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

Tony tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk
Mon May 12 06:55:47 EDT 2014

On 10/05/2014 15:15, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 09 May 2014 18:46:05 +0100
> Tony <tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Quite a remarkable datasheet for a low cost part - I've not found any
>> other low cost oscillator with either of those specifications, and even
>> some (most?) of the OXCO don't specify the freq/temp slope.
> I'm quite sure the manufacturers have this data, but they do not readily
> publish it because it is not tested for and thus not guaranteed.
> Ie the manufacturers want to prevent someone from taking that data,
> constructing some "specs" in their mind and blaming the manufacturer
> when the circuit fails because the part didn't meet the "specs".
Absolutely - which is why I was surprised to see those specs in the
datasheet (on Digikey's site). And why I wasn't surprised that I
couldn't find that version of the datasheet anywhere else including the
manufacturer's own website.
> Usually the manufacturers are quite happy to share that data if you
> ask nicely.
>
> 			Attila Kinali
Yes , but that isn't much help unless you have a lot of of clout with
the manufacturer, like the Apples of this world, or you are able to take
on the risk that the parts will meet your needs and can buy all the the
parts you're going to need in one go. The manufacturer won't guarantee
any data that isn't in the datasheet and worse they can change the
design or manufacturing process at any time; the part would still meet
the published specs but all other characteristics could change considerably.

Tony H