[time-nuts] New tide gauge uses GPS signals to measure sea level change

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed May 28 00:21:36 EDT 2014

> On 5/27/14, 10:24 AM, Brooke Clarke wrote:

>> This is one of the problems I have with the claim that sea level is
>> rising at 2mm per year.  i.e. how well can they back out the plate
>> movement in historical tide gauge records?

Let's assume they are NOT good at this and are working with factor of
two error.    All you need to know to see there is a problem is the
order of magnitude of the trend.

It's like if someone says "the house is on fire. We have to get out"
and then you argue no it's not because you've got the rate of
combustion off by a factor of 2.73.   Small factors don't change the
practical result.

2mm/yr is a small and very conservative estimate.  A better one that
reflects current conditions is nearly 4mm/yr.  But the worry is that
the rate is not constant and there is some positive feedback.  That
seems to be the case but it will take 20 years to really know for
sure.

BACK ON TOPIC...   What does it take to measure ones distance from the
center of the Earth accurately enough to detect geological movement in
a reasonable amount of time?     Measuring distance really is, I think
a time nut problem as I bet it involves measuring radio waves.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California