[time-nuts] 1903 Railroad self-Winding / Self-setting Clock

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Nov 1 18:33:37 EDT 2014

brooke at pacific.net said:
> The click-click-click... is the self winding.  A solenoid vibrates back and
> forth and a pawl and ratchet winds the main  spring.

I don't think that's what I was referring to.  It was a long time ago so my
memory may be buggy.

The click-click-click... that I remember was loud enough to distract the
class.  It only happened occasionally, ballpark of once per month or less.
The minute hand was making a step with each click.

I assumed there was some mechanism to remotely set the clock.  I think it
ended up roughly correct.  (I didn't even have a watch back then.)

Was there any alternative to SWCC technology in the 1950s time frame?

> There's a heart shaped cam that forces the hour, minute and if the clock has
> one the second hand to 12:00 and holds them  there until the sync pulse goes
> away. Note the second hand only was used on clocks in radio stations so they
> could join the network.  For that 1 second was  close enough.

Is that one cam that gets all the hands or a separate cam for each hand?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.