[time-nuts] Z3812 Diag port data? RE: time-nuts Digest, Vol 124, Issue 26

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 2 21:20:27 EST 2014

HI

So at least there is one way communications from the GPS box to the slave box.

Bidirectional com would be a bit complex given the lack of UART’s on the pc board. I’d bet it just runs through a standard set of messages on the GPS and watches the results. The way to quickly prove I’m wrong would be to issue a command to the GPS from the slave that it must respond to. Something like go into survey mode or set the location to xxx yyy zzz.  I’ve certainly been wrong before.

I suppose they could do dual source TTL com directly at the GPS module level. I’d think that would drive the GPS unit a bit nuts when the slave started switching things around….

Bob