[time-nuts] Mercury Ion Clock

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 21:53:54 EST 2014

I respectfully disagree. Before getting totally submerged in time nuts
issues I did extensive work on signal sources up to 40 GHz as a hobby. So I
have  since the early 90's sweeper, synthesizer, power meter, mixer for the HP
70000  series, attenuates and most important frequency counter and non fall
off the  cliff at 40 GHz. 40.5 is still doable the limiting factor is wave
guide cut off  frequency. One of the reasons I still hold on to the 5345
frequency counter the  best for high resolution frequency counting in that
range. Yes it was not cheap  but more and more equipment and components become
available last year I helped a  friend sell eight HP mixers for frequencies
above 50 GHz.
The big question is phase noise and how much power and no it will not be $
200 but $ 2500 depending on power and phase noise.is attainable.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 11/2/2014 7:44:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org writes:

Dave,

On 11/03/2014 01:29 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby  Microwave Ltd) wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2014 16:50, "Jim Lux"  <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> behind a  scintillator)
>>
>> The 40 GHz stuff these days is not  nearly as exotic as it used to be.
The
> challenge might be test  equipment when you're debugging your 40 GHz
> synthesis  chain.
>
> There's a fair amount of test equipment around to 40.0  GHz, but it is not
> cheap even on the used market. But above 40.0 GHz  it gets even more
> expensive, as a lot of kit stops there. So a  spectrum analyzer that works
> to 40.1 GHz is going to cost serious  money.
>
> I don't know what ones chances of feeding 10.04 MHz  into the 10 MHz
> reference input to 40 GHz test equipment to make it  work to
> 40*10.04/10=40.16 GHz. I suspect that you could get away with  it.

It would not really be needed. Only if you would be using a 40,5  GHz
oscillator and steer it, that 40 GHz would be exposed. However, I  would
not be surprised if a source in the 100 MHz to 1 GHz range or so  would
be used as an intermediary clock to a big 5 MHz fly-wheel. Naturally
that intermediary could be synthesized. There are many ways to go about  it.

Cheers,
Magnus