[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, Z3812...

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 12:00:03 EST 2014

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com Sun Nov 2 09:08:30 EST 2014 wrote:

"Ooh err, whoops, and oh dear !!

Arthur, I've only just had a chance to look at your latest photos, and
unless I've really got my wires crossed, if you'll pardon the
expression:-),
your links on J5 are not shown on pins 2, 10, 12, and 15,  but on pins 4,
6,
11, and 13."
+++++++++++++++++++++

Darn-I'm glad someone was paying more attention than I was when I wrote
that years ago. Apparently when I was documenting what modifications I
had made I just picked up a 15 pin D plug shell to get the numbers
instead of looking at the obvious numbers on the RFTG socket connector
and those connectors being mirror images have the numbers reversed. I
was out geocaching yesterday and didn't catch up on the new posts until
this morning so I'm a little late in responding. I also checked to see
if I had any other scribbles on the changes I made and found this: "If
pin 2 is held low the 'ON' LED will flash. A pulse low will turn it on.
The RC timer holds pin 2 low to flash for about 6 seconds so you can
see it actually happens then pin 2 returns high and the 'ON' LED stays
on solid."

So apparently some of the parts I added were to just make the light look
like they were working correctly (can you spell OCD?) and may not be
necessary. As I originally said, this was a hack and I wanted others to
duplicate what I had done to see if any of it made sense to them. At
least it appears that by adding the circuit I came up with and/or adding
jumpers you can get the RFTG-u REF 1 unit to work without the slave unit.
I just ordered another RFTG-u REF 1 and will see if I can modify that and
get it to output 10Mhz instead of 5Mhz like my original unit.

Sorry about the screw up on the numbers.

-Arthur