[time-nuts] NPR Story I heard this morning

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Mon Nov 3 16:40:40 EST 2014

On 11/3/2014 3:54 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> When it comes to frequency standards the official SI second is
> defined only for sea level. We know time and frequency are "bent" by
> speed or gravity;

According to the BIPM: "At its 1997 meeting the CIPM affirmed that:
"This definition refers to a caesium atom at rest at a temperature of 0
K." - http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/second.html

Isn't weight equivalent to acceleration, and it's therefore not "at
rest" when sitting on a table at sea level?

I don't see anything in the BIPM definition of the second regarding sea
level.