[time-nuts] NPR Story I heard this morning

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 3 18:44:20 EST 2014

Because for optical clocks Strontium is better suited than Caesium.
Caesium was at one time judged as the best suited for atomic beam
designs, but is not considered the best for fountain clocks, since
caesium has larger cross-section than rubidium, so the effect of
collisions becomes larger. For optical clocks strontium and aluminium is
among several possible choices.

There is nothing magic about caesium, it was just the chosen reference
at one time. There where actually a better choice from certain aspects,
but for several reasons judged as harder to design a clock from.

Cheers,
Magnus