[time-nuts] NPR Story I heard this morning

Bob Bownes bownes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 14:27:26 EST 2014

You people are evil. Now you have me wondering where I can get a microgram
level accurate scale. Simply tracking the weight of a 'constant' (anyone
got a silicon sphere with exactly 1 mole of Si atoms in it? :)) over time
would be an interesting experiment.

As a geologist, I also have to say, that while we know the geoid to ~1cm,
it is ~1cm at the time it was measured, which is constantly changing. The
obvious tidal effects, as well as internal heating effects (and I suspect
external heating effects), continental drift (both long term events and
short term events like earthquakes), currents in the molten layers,
probably magnetic effects all are going to contribute to geoid uncertainty.

I really do need to spin the seismograph back up.