[time-nuts] WWVB format

Alexander Pummer alexpcs at ieee.org
Fri Nov 21 12:30:52 EST 2014

Hi Paul,
the phase modulation would interfere with the AM, since during the phase
change the narrow band crystal filter's output will sink down as the
filter is following the phase change, and the time needed for the filter
to "swing in " to the new phase it depend on the angle of the phase
change angle, for 180 degree it is 2 x [1/f] x Q  , [1/f] x Q needed to
"swing on" and the same time to swing down from the old phase.
[[Rohde&Schwarz's old Q meter is based on that, it counts the zero
crossings until the level of the signal sinks to ....]]
and that causes an additional AM modulation, if the quartz filter of the
clock  is not so good, the [1/f] x Q  time is shorter and the filter
after the demodulator does not let it pass the amplitude change, thus
the cheaper clock works better, until one switching mode power supply
takes over the control from the WWVB....
73
Alex