[time-nuts] Digital Mixing with a BeagleBone Black and D Flip Flop

Mon Nov 24 11:13:48 EST 2014

Thanks Pablo.

I've been finding that my implementation is a very good noise detector
(in all kinds of fun ways) and my most recent effort has been at the
hardware level in better layout, shielding and in reducing the number of
noise sources.

The impact of non-random noise is that transitions near an edge get
quantised to the noise source, particularly the first and last
transitions of a set. This leads to some of the simpler edge detection
algorithms perfoming very poorly as they carry through this quantisation.

Clearly, the cleaner the hardware implementation the less impact
external noise will be until, hopefully, it is below requirements. At
some point though I may get to a hardware/software tradeoff where the
cost of reducing noise via hardware becomes more expensive than a
complex edge detection algorithm that could remove the noise in software
instead.

Of course, everyone will have their own definition of what 'cost' and
'more expensive' means but in my case software solutions are relatively
cheap as I'm using a general purpose processor rather than FPGA.

Cheers

Simon