[time-nuts] lightening protection of a GPSDO system / optical isolated distribution amp

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 04:24:38 EST 2014

On 27 Nov 2014 03:06, "Bob Camp" <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> You need a good antenna setup to get a good disciplined oscillator. The
bigger question is if you *need* the sort of “better” it gives you. If you
are running a simple TCXO based GPSDO, you will have a number of issues to
deal with compared to an OCXO or Rb based system. If “better” is an
objective, consider the entire system.

> Bob

Bob,
can you explain more about the effect of antenna performance on a GPSDO
system?

Now you have told me it is important,  I would like to know more! My lab
has an East facing window.

The only way I would use an external antenna is if I had optical isolation.

I live in an area where the lightening risk is considered low,  but having
lost equipment twice, I am probably more concerned than others might be.

Dave.