[time-nuts] Lightning arrestors for GPSDO antenna

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Thu Oct 16 19:34:09 EDT 2014

I'm looking for effective coaxial lightning arrestors for my GPSDO antennas.
I've seen several types; those completely enclosed in a one-piece metal
enclosure (no replaceable components) and those having a replaceable gas
discharge tube seem to predominate the list.
I'm looking closely at the gas discharge tube types, and am curious as to
their effectiveness and durability.  I'd like to know stuff like; are they
effective in dissipating a static charge, how do I know when the gas tube
needs to be replaced, are the gas tubes of a special type, are replacement
gas tube easily available, etc.

I'm interested in opinions and experiences with arrestors and
recommendations for which type is most effective.

Thanks for comments,
Dave M