[time-nuts] GPS for ntp

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 07:18:26 EDT 2014

From: Simon Marsh
[]
No claims are any good without being backed by data, so attached are a
couple of plots showing my NTP performance from the past 4 hours.
'Sheliak' is the BBB with the PCI-5S and 'Albali' is a Pi with an
adafruit ultimate GPS breakout (MTK3339). It's easy to see the heating
coming on at ~6:20, as both servers are out in the open and it's
interesting to see how they both respond to the temperature change. The
scale is in milliseconds, so 5m is showing 5us.

Cheers
Simon

.. and for comparison, plots from seven Raspberry Pi NTP servers running
various GPS/PPS modules all with indoor antennas, some better located than
others.  Raspberry Pi #7 is user-mode PPS, not kernel-mode.  I can supply
loopstats if anyone want them.

These are the offset values reported by NTP and sampled by MRTG at 5-minute
intervals.

Now the omitted URL for the plots:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

Cheers,