[time-nuts] TU60-D120-041 power up

Jerry DeHaven sjdehaven at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:02:44 EDT 2014

Hello Michael,

Re: setting GPS data formats

As I mentioned previously, my GPS unit works perfectly with the TAC32
evaluation software.  I can see the NMEA sentences on the screen every
second.  In addition, the 1 pulse-per-second is working, and so is the
10 kHz output.  So, I have a working GPS system.  I can proceed from
there to build up the 10 MHz Oven Stabilized Oscillator and complete the
GPS Disciplined Oscillator.

I think you pointed out that this GPS unit defaults to the Navman Binary
mode.  I have tried to use HyperTerminal via a serial port and about all
I see is @@EA followed by a burst of random characters every second.  I
tried 4800 and 9600 baud.  I would like to be able to read the NMEA
sentences (GPGSA, etc) so I can use Day, Date, Time and 3D Fix for other
purposes.  To do that I think I need to change the format of the GPS
output data.  (From Navman Binary to ????)

I am still uncertain about how to send commands to my TU60-D120-041 GPS
unit.  I have spent hours trying to understand serial communication with
GPS units and I haven't had much luck.  You mentioned that you developed
some software that would accomplish that.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you, 73,  Jerry - WA0ACF
sjdehaven <at> gmail.com