[time-nuts] If any of your USB devices have stopped working lately...

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 23:01:02 EDT 2014

Unfortunately the issue that FTDI is trying to combat is counterfeiters,
and I think you will find that the counterfeit devices will report the
same product and vendor id as the genuine ones.  The product and vendor
ids are how the OS identifies a device and how they decide which device
driver should be used.  Apparently at least some of these counterfeit
devices are not perfect copies or else a device driver would be unable
distinguish them from genuine.  It is like a number of years ago when
cable TV companies where having a lot of trouble with counterfeit cable
descramblers, they found a flaw in the code used in them and transmitted
what became know as a "magic bullet" that caused them to fail.

Paul.