[time-nuts] HP 5370, 5371, 5372, 5373

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Oct 27 03:38:22 EDT 2014

--------
In message <CAPXiX5r0jdJyNJYTAtFmcVFrHnt_ei0Md26dTbcVuQEOSp0cZw at mail.gmail.com>
, Stewart Cobb writes:

>Are they actually successor units? Are they upward-compatible with the
>5370?   Are they more accurate, or less accurate?  Is there anything that a
>5370 can do that the later units can't?

They are much more than the 5370, but the single shot resolution is
only 200ps (HP5370: 20ps)

My best suggestion is to download the manual from the company formerly
known as HP and read it.

The main attraction in time-nut land is that they can do zero-deadtime
measurement series.

It's too bad they didn't build in a full ADEV(tau) plot function in
them (at least the 5372A doesn't have it).  I guess one could spend a
winter adding the code and burn a new set of eproms, but I've never
missed it that much.