[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, Z3812A GPSDO system

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 30 20:12:51 EDT 2014

Hi

> On Oct 28, 2014, at 11:41 PM, Tom Miller <tmiller11147 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Until you have the two units tied together and GPS ok and the Fault light out, you won't see the 15 MHz signal. You should see a 5 volt pp square wave of sorts coming out of the 10 MHz port.
>
> I found a clean 10 MHz signal on the collector of Q208 and several other points. These are on the back side of the board, near the 15 MHz connector.
>
> I am trying to find out how they triple the 5 MHz to get 15 MHz.

In the earlier Lucent boxes, they used a PLD multiplier and a canned bandpass filter. That does not seem to be how it was done in these boxes. The big question is - did they use 15 MHz to clock the CPU? If so, you would still need to generate it to keep the firmware happy.  If they don’t use the 15 MHz, then fiddling with it is much easier.

A quick and (relatively) easy mod would be to unhook  the 15 MHz amp and drive it with 5 MHz. Swap out the coils and tune it to work there. 5 MHz may not be as useful as 10, but a lot of gear will accept it as a reference.

Bob