[time-nuts] Correcting jitter on the 1 PPS signal from a GPS receiver.

Peter Reilley peter at reilley.com
Sat Sep 13 10:41:49 EDT 2014

I have 2 Trimble Resolution T receivers and I have compared the 1 PPS signal
between the 2 units.   They are spec'ed at 15 nS accuracy.    I am seeing
about
80 nS of jitter between the two.   This is with about 6 satellites in view.

I was thinking about ways to improve this.   Since this is a stationary
installation,
can you use the jitter in the reported location (latitude and longitude) to
correct
for the 1 PPS jitter?

The location data is derived using the internal GPS disciplined oscillator
so both
pieces of information should show the same jitter error.   If you compare
the reported
location with the known fixed location you should be able to use that error
to correct
for the 1 PPS error.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Pete.