[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Rollover

Matthias Jelen Matthias.Jelen at gmx.de
Tue Sep 16 15:06:25 EDT 2014

Hello,
I got a Trimble Thunderbolt a few months ago and implemented
a simple monitor on a MCU to display time, no of satellites
etc. on a lcd display.
While working on this, I found the hint for the upcoming
rollover in 2017 in the user manual. I couldn?t find any
details on this in the internet - the question for me was if
the unit becomes useless in about three years (which would
minimize my motivation to put all the stuff in a shiny
enclosure) or if simply the calculation of the date will fail.
So I took the unit to work and hooked it to a signal
generator capable of simulating GPS, GNSS etc. systems. As
expected, everything works fine until July, 2017. If I try
dates later than this, Lady Heather refuses to display time
and date. The strange thing is that time and date are still
sent in the serial protocol. August 20th, 2018 is decoded as
January, 4t, 1999. As expected, time is OK.
So, hopefully this is only a problem in LH and the
Thunderbolt will be usable after July, 2017 - I?d be happy
to live with a wrong date.
Can anyone confirm this observations or does anyone have
more information on this topic?
Thanks a lot and regards,
Matthias, DK4YJ