[time-nuts] Striking change in iPhone time accuracy with 8.2

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 03:01:50 EDT 2015

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic improvement in the accuracy of time
of day on iPhones and iPads since the release of iOS 8.2? The accuracy
used to be only plus or minus 2 or 3 seconds, now it is about 100
times better, usually a few tens of milliseconds. I figure Apple might
have finally paid some attention to accurate time of day with 8.2,
possibly because of the Apple Watch. It's a pleasing improvement, I
hope it's permanent.

--
Anthony

I noticed something similar on my iPad, but hadn't correlated the change
with iOS 8.2.  I thought it was just chance, but you could be right.  On the
other hand, I just checked now and it's 1.9 seconds off.  I compare with
Emerald Time, which includes my one stratum-1 NTP server in its sources.

  https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/emerald-time/id290384375?mt=8

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu