[time-nuts] 53230A noise floor

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 3 16:40:38 EDT 2015

Hi

If you use the same sort of small step synthesizer approach and get very close (but not equal to) the reference, you
can find “dead spots” where the resolution is not as good as you expected it to be. You need to be able to
step off in 1x10^-11 steps to do a good job of plotting it. Sweeping the EFC of a (very good) OCXO is one way
to do it. There are others.

This is by no means a bash on the 53230. Properly fed, it’s a fine device. Every fancy counter I’ve seen has these
sort of issues one way or the other. The fancier they make the software enhancements (like frequency estimation) the
more odd cases they seem to have pop up….

Bob