[time-nuts] Ultra High Stability Time Base Options for 53132A

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Apr 12 23:09:39 EDT 2015

On 4/12/2015 6:30 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:

> It might be that I'm already too sleepy, but I don't see why
> a faster comparator would add more jitter. Actually, my intuition
> (which is clearly wrong) would say the contrary. So, which effect
> does increase the jitter with comparator speed?

The faster the comparator, the greater its analog bandwidth.
Thus there is more total noise to cause jitter.  The DC to
daylight comparator is the opposite of the John Dick (JPL)
paper on zero crossing detectors in PTTI around 1990.  John
teaches that you use the MINIMUM bandwidth amplifier to
square up a sine wave.

> BTW: If anyone here has any good text to read on oscillator design,
> please let me know. I'm collecting those :-)
>
> 			Attila Kinali

Start by reading everything by:

Marv Frerking
Mike Driscoll
John Vig

Oh, and I wrote a few papers on oscillators myself :-)

Rick