[time-nuts] GPSDO disciplining algorithms

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sat Apr 18 17:25:43 EDT 2015

Alan wrote:

>An interesting point re 3 use-cases  and re the vast majority of
>commercial algorithms being made for telco purposes. Does that imply
>that 10MHz lab-instrument feed for frequency / timing etc would
>ideally have some different algorithms?

Frankly, I see no need for a lab standard to make any attempt to keep
"good" time when the GPS or the OCXO is compromised.  Detect the
error, set an alarm, and disable the standard frequency output.  Who
wants to do time-nut experiments with a standard that is limping
along with compromised accuracy?

It's perfectly fine if the standard automatically returns to normal
operation when it can (in this case, it should maintain a record of
the outage(s)), but it is also perfectly fine (IMO) to require manual
intervention to resume normal operation.

Again -- Who wants to do time-nut experiments with a standard that is
limping along with compromised accuracy?

It is a different situation if the standard provides timing for a
real-time application, such as a cell site.  In that case, one
probably wants to maintain operation as long as the standard can be
relied on to meet the minimum system spec.

Best regards,

Charles