[time-nuts] TrueTime AL-AK GPS receiver help

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Thu Apr 30 13:41:00 EDT 2015

Well, the world's favorite search engine has several hits for a TrueTime
XL-AK. There is a manual for the XL-AK 600 receiver. The PDF does not
include the schematic. A down converter is listed as an option, to be
mounted within a foot of the antenna. There is no discussion of the down
converter beyond mounting it close to the antenna.

The manual says the unit was designed in 1994 and is capable of
acquiring six satellites. If the receiver input is 4 MHz, it requires
the down converter at the antenna. This allows use of inexpensive cable
in 1994.

I'd expect this receiver to be as useless as the TrueTime GOES receiver.
Antenna and converter will be hard to find, as they were probably junked
separately. I would not expect the receiver to be set up by changing
some dip switches.

Now, if someone had the RF skills to build a GHz to MHz converter, it
might work.

Bill Hawkins