[time-nuts] wtd: WWVB info

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 5 20:44:05 EDT 2015

On 8/5/15 12:41 PM, Donald wrote:
> On 8/4/2015 9:36 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
>> kb8tq at n1k.org said:
>>> So far there have not been any home brew design radios show up that will
>>> demodulate and lock to the new data format. There is plenty of info
>>> on the
>>> transmit format. The demodulation approach is not crazy hard. That said,
>>> there’s still a lot of work to get a receiver running.
>> Has anybody looked into a software approach?  What sort of front end
>> would
>> you want?
>
> I have been looking at building a "Tayloe Detector".
>
> I have not seen any sites that have shown a 60Khz receiver based using a
> Tayloe Detector tho.

I'm not sure it would buy you much.. you'd have something running at
240kHz switching the inputs to the detector?

It's MUCH easier to just digitize the 60kHz with a high resolution
converter.  And have a nice BPF in front of the digitizer.

The tayloe/quadrature sampling detector (a key part of the Flexradio
original design) is more convenient if you're making a direct conversion
receiver that needs to tune up to 10s of MHz, since it allows you to use
a slow ADC with lots of bits.  It's basically a I/Q mixer and will take
a lot more parts in total than just getting a 192ksps 24 bit converter.