[time-nuts] HP10811 vs 00105 OCXO

timeok at timeok.it timeok at timeok.it
Sat Aug 8 12:25:01 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I try to ansver to all you:

Luciano, how was the blue trace taken? Is this from your DMTD project? If so, it's looking promising.
The green and magenta traces are definitely in the right ballpark for measurements on a 5370-class counter. At 3E-11 @ t=12s the magenta trace is optimistic but not outrageously so, while the green trace looks exactly like I'd expect for a typical 10811 measured on a 5370. The observed noise is due entirely to the counter until about t=200s. We see a glimpse of the 10811's typical ADEV at about 250 seconds, just before either drift or ADEV uncertainty causes the trace to turn upwards. A longer run would be needed to distinguish between these two situations.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC

r: no, all the measurements are taken using an HP53132A  in frequency mode. The difference can be the gate time. Using 1 second the resolution is lower than using 2 Second that permit the max counter  resolution.

Hi

Well an un-stated assumption of mine was that they all came from the same measurement system and that it
had the same floor under all circumstances….

Bob

r: all the measurements are under the same conditions except for the gate time of the counter.

Hi Luciano,

Can you give me the link to your ADEV posting image about 10811 vs 105 oscillators?  I had it and now can't seem to find it.  I wanted to look at your plots as I read John Miles' comments.  Many thanks.

I have two very high performing HP10811-60109 OCXO units which I got from Corby.

Many thanks.

Jim Robbins
N1JR

r: Jim, I will load soon some files on my site. The 105B I have is a fantastic exception, unfortunately it have a defect, may be a bad  solder inside cause randomly a phase jump and return to the original phase trend, so all The long term ADEV are distorted by this problem I have to fix.

Tom VB, i will do all the cross measurements on 10811, 00105 and rubidium I have and i will upload they but I need time to do this.
Unfortunately I have only the HP53132A as TIC and my best reference are four HP5065A. I normally use the counter function because the TI function on 1 PPS have 100 time less resolution.
Will be interesting doing also the Phase noise tests. I will do it.
please see: http://www.timeok.it/files/time_and_frequency_house_standard_201r.pdf

Luciano
www.timeok.it