[time-nuts] Serial Ballpoint issue again

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 11 12:27:17 EDT 2015

On 8/11/15 5:20 AM, David C. Partridge wrote:
> I just installed Windows 10 (yes I know how rash), and now my Thunderbolt is
> being detected as a Microsoft Serial Ballpoint Mouse (yes, just like before
> inder Windows 7).  I had set something up on Windows 7 in the boot.ini to
> stop this, but for the life on me I can't remember what it was.
>
> Please could someone who's got this setup on Windows 7 remind me what the
> magic incantionation is.

On win 7, I go into device manager (rt click on computer, properties,
etc.) and disable "Microsoft Serial Mouse".

There's probably a command line way to do it it too, using the command
line device manager tool.  You'd need to know the name of the device,
but once you know it, you're set for ever.

Does Win10 use a similar scheme?  It's very likely: it's not like MS
rewrites the OS kernel.. the version changes are more UI focused. Device
manager in Win7 isn't a whole lot different than it was in NT4.0