[time-nuts] A few questions about Tboltmon

Alex Pummer alex at pcscons.com
Fri Aug 14 21:34:20 EDT 2015

an other way to keep lightening damage away,  to use one 1/4 wave length
stud, and bank on it, that the lightening will not transmit with full
power on the GPS frequencies.....that trick is widely used on TV
transmitter antennas, The only issue is that it is not very handy to
have piece of cable, cca 4cm long, and the length of the cable has to be
tried out with the available cable, -- with a piece of a semi-rigged
cable teflon isolated,  the shorting factor is around 0,76.
If there is DC in the line, the end of the 1/4 wave length  cable can
not be shorted, but connected to a large capacity -- up to 5µF ceramic
SMD brick-capacitor, that will prevent the short and also a spike to
travel on the line,
The stud length could be set with a network analyzer; the electrically
1/4Wave length, and at at the end shorted coax cable looks like open or
S11=0dB
73
KJ6UHN
Alex